How to Fix Internet Explorer 8 from Defaulting to Mobile Browser Version of a Site
Updated December 13, 2011
Mashable redirecting to Mobile Version of site in Internet Explorer 8 by default.
Remove Creative Software AutoUpdate from Programs and Features.
Creative Software AutoUpdate Uninstallation complete
For about a month now, whenever I visited certain sites like Mashable.com using Internet Explorer 8 browser, I was getting redirected to the mobile browser version of the site instead of the regular web version. This was pretty annoying and I wasn't quite sure what was causing the problem until today.
Essentially, for whatever reason a program called 'Creative Software AutoUpdate' seems to be the culprit causing IE8 to default to the mobile layout for some sites. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit sound card in my computer which is why I had the 'Creative Software AutoUpdate' installed. However, the program isn't really needed on my computer, and since it's the cause of the IE8 mobile browser redirection problem I went ahead and uninstalled it and it solved the problem.
So to fix the problem of Internet Explorer 8 defaulting to the mobile browser version of some websites, follow these steps to uninstall the 'Creative Software AutoUpdate' program:
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel window, click Uninstall a program. (If your Control Panel view is in Classic View, then click on Programs and Features)
- Select the program called Creative Software AutoUpdate and then click Uninstall.
- Once you've successfully uninstalled Creative Software AutoUpdate, open up Internet Explorer 8.
- Click on the Tools menu, and then click Delete Browsing History...
- Make sure Temporary Internet files and History is checked, then click the Delete button.
- Wait a few minutes for the deletion to complete, then close Internet Explorer and reopen it.
- Browse to a site that was defaulting to the mobile browser version (like Mashable.com) and you should now see the regular website (if you still see the mobile version, just hit the Refresh button in Internet Explorer and it should change).
- That's it.