Lasagna is a staple in Italian cuisine – offering countless variations to the ingredients, sauce, and cheese combinations. Here is a fantastic vegetarian lasagna recipe which can be played around with and changed to add your signature flair to it.
To start, you will need the following ingredients:
- Half a package of lasagna noodles (approx. 10 – 12 noodles)
- 1 can pasta sauce of your choice (or made from crushed tomatoes and your choice of finely chopped vegetables plus seasonings)
- 1 package of portabella mushrooms (approx. 4 – 5), sliced into thin ¼” strips
- 1 cup of thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups of mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (plus one cup set aside for garnishing)
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 – 3 cups of rinsed, finely chopped spinach
Step 1 –
Create your sauce by simmering an array of finely chopped vegetables, such as onions, garlic, bell peppers, and grated carrots with a can of crushed tomatoes and season to taste. Or, use a can of premade pasta sauce mixed with ¼ cup of vegetable broth for a deeper flavor.
Step 2 –
Boil your lasagna noodles for 5 – 8 minutes or until slightly soft but still firm. Avoid overcooking the noodles. Drain and lightly cover with olive oil to avoid sticking together.
Step 3 –
Combine choice of hard cheese, feta, egg, and spinach in a bowl until thoroughly mixed together. Season with basil and oregano to taste.
Step 4 –
Lightly grease a lasagna pan with a small amount of olive oil. Begin layering lasagna by pouring ½ cup of sauce of the bottom of the pan, follow with a layer of noodles. On top of the noodles, layer the cheese combination followed by noodles and sauce. On top of these noodles, place zucchini then mushrooms and top with sauce and another layer of noodles. Continue layering until completed.
Step 5 –
On the final layer, spread the remainder of the sauce and top with the additional cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle some basil and oregano on top of the cheese.
Step 6 –
Bake the lasagna at 350’F for about 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and cheese is bubbly and golden on top.
Serve with homemade crusty bread and enjoy with a glass of wine. Bon appétit.