How Setup a Personal Hotspot (WiFi) on an iPhone 5 with iOS 6
March 18, 2013
By switching on your iPhone 5's Personal Hotspot feature, you essentailly can turn your iPhone into a WiFi router that other devices can connect to the internet through. You can also establish a password protected network connection which can be shared with other WiFi enabled devices such as an iPad or Laptop computer. This feature can be very useful, especially when you need to connect to the World Wide Web and you’re not at your home where there is Wi-Fi connection.
Here's how to setup a Personal Hotspot on an iPhone 5:
1) Tap on Settings app on the home screen.
2) Tap on General
3) Tap on Cellular
4) Tap the Set Up Personal Hotspot button (You may have to call AT&T or your carrier to Enable a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone)
5) Tap the Personal Hotspot Toggle to the On position.
6) Tap on Wi-Fi Password to change the wifi password.
Keep in mind, the personal hotspot feature on the iPhone 5 shares the internet connection over Wi-Fi, so there should not be any additional wifi connection setups needed on most devices. The Personal Hotspot also shares the connection over USB or Bluetooth, but depending on the computer, it may need certain drivers installed or additional setup options to make USB or Bluetooth to connect properly.
Data consumption is usually increased with the use of a Personal Hotspot. Thus, try to use it only when necessary.
To connect to your newly created Wi-Fi Hotspot using an iPad do the following:
1) Tap the Settings app on the home screen of your iPad.
2) Tap Wi-Fi then look for your iPhone’s network name that you just setup in the list and select it by tapping it.
3) In the field, enter your iPhone’s password for its network and click the Join button.
You should now be connected to your iPhone's Personal WiFi Hotspot!
BE AWARE: Your service provider might charge you for making a hotspot. Thus, contact them for more information before you follow the steps mentioned above.
NOTE: Never forget to make a password for your Personal Hotspot for you to solely have access to the network that you have created.