How to Fix Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/GetCompletionList'

by
I recently moved my sites over to a new web server that has "Windows Server 2008 R2" installed.  The older server had just been running "Windows Server 2008".  After moving my sites over I discovered that my AJAX Toolkit AutoComplete functionality had stopped working and I was getting the following error:
System.InvalidOperationException
: 
Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/GetCompletionList'.

System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/GetCompletionList'.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String verb, String url, String filePath)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I wasn't quite sure what was causing the error, since the AutoComplete list worked fine on my local development computer, as well as my older "Windows Server 2008" box.   After searching around, a number of solutions that people seemed to be having success with, was to add the webServices -> protocols to the system.web configuration in the web.config file like so:

But I discovered that in my case, this didn't always solve the problem.  Fortunately, I was able to find a solution that worked at Violato.net.  In order for the AutoComplete .asmx files to fire correctly I needed to add the ScriptHandlerFactory and ScriptResource entries to my web.config file like so:



Keep in mind, that if your website has its Application Pool set to Classic (instead of Integrated), then you would need to change the preCondition for ScriptHandlerFactor and ScriptResource to "classicMode" in the above example.

So I was able to get the AutoComplete web service working just by adding the ScriptHandlerFactory and ScriptResource entries to the system.webServer configuration in my web.config file. 


0
0

Add your comment

by Anonymous - Already have an account? Login now!
Your Name:  

Comment:  
Enter the text you see in the image below
What do you see?
Can't read the image? View a new one.
Your comment will appear after being approved.

Related Posts


You may need to have an image refreshed automatically on a web page in ASP.NET to get the latest image. One instance where you might want the fresh image is if you upload an image that has the same file name as an already existing image file on the...  more »

A regular expression for validating a image url.  more »

After setting up a new Windows 7 computer with IIS 7.5 and Visual Studio 2010, I tried to start my ASP.NET 4.0 website using the Local IIS web server. However, right off the bat I was hit with the following IIS error message: HTTP Error 500.21 - Internal...  more »

This is one of those simple web page design things that can drive a web developer absolutely crazy.  more »

Here's one quick fix for the ASP.NET error System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format. when you are using a DataList with an asp:Button control and are trying to get the CommandArgument using the DataList_RowCommand. Keep in mind...  more »

If you do any sort of ASP.NET programming there usually comes a time when you need to get a websites Base URL. The following shows two examples, the first example shows how to get the Base Site Url using C#, which can be used for getting both the...  more »

After running a ASP.NET website on IIS 7.5 for the first time on a Windows 7 computer, I was faced with the following error message: Login failed for user 'IIS APPPOOL\ASP.NET v4.0'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the...  more »

For a while I wasn't sure how to access GetRouteUrl from an .ashx IHttpHandler page. I wanted to access route url's setup in the Global.asax file to be used in files like rss.ashx, instead of having to hard codes the page URL's in my .ashx pages. Well,...  more »