How to Cure a Hangover
Updated January 28, 2013
Having a hangover is the problem side effect from drinking too much, usually the night before. But, who hasn’t gone out and gotten a little too crazy, a little too fast. What seemed like fun and excitement the night before, often turns into a nightmare the next day. The key to not getting a hangover is to not drink in the first place, or at least to drink a glass of water in between each alcoholic beverage you have. However, if you are stuck in the predicament of having a hangover already, try one of the following remedies.
- Alcohol causes dehydration; therefore excessive alcohol will cause an excessive amount of dehydration in the body. The hangover is an extension of the symptoms of dehydration and can be lessened by drinking lots of water before going to bed. Water will also help flush the alcohol out of your system faster, leading to a decreased risk of a hangover. Make sure the water is room temperature or slightly cooler to quench your thirst and to avoid over stimulating your stomach. You can even add a bit of lemon to give you a boost of vitamin C with some neutralizing power.
- Avoid a hangover by eating small amounts of starchy food, such as bread or plain rice to help soak up some of the alcohol before you start drinking as well as after you’ve finished. Having food in your system means the alcohol won’t hit you as hard because you will have other sources of energy in your body. The key is to eat small amounts, not one large meal.
- Having a bit of juice or a sports drink can help rehydrate you as well as provide you with much needed vitamins and minerals. Sip slowly as juice is very sweet and can upset an already irritated stomach.
- If your hangover is coupled with a headache, take a painkiller such as aspirin or ibuprofen. Take them when you wake up so that most of the alcohol has passed out of your body. Do not take acetaminophen, Tylenol, as it can be dangerous when taken if alcohol is present.
- The best cure for a hangover is sleep. Close your curtains, turn off your phone, and let yourself sleep as long as possible for a full recovery.