How to Remove a Stain from Furniture Upholstery
Easily remove stains from your furniture.
Updated August 9, 2011
Stain found on chair upholstry.
Water blotted stain spot.
Stain mostly removed from blotting stain with water one time.
Stain was completely removed from chair after blotting upholstery with cloth and water for second time in two days.
Quick Tip: To Remove a Stain from Furniture Upholstery
So the other day I notice a pretty large stain on the fabric of one of my dining room chairs. I had no idea how it got there or how long it was on the chair, but I did know that I had to try and remove the stain from the chair soon or else the upholstery would probably continue to look very unbecoming for a long time to come.
While I was quite sure what stained the chair (whether it was water, wine, cat pee, or something else). I decided I would just take the simplest approach to trying to get rid of the stain. Here's what I did:
- Get a Towel - (preferably a white / colorless towel). Try to avoid using paper towels, especially with color.
- Damping the towel with water.
- Now simply take the damp part of the towel and lightly blot around the stain on the fabric. Do not rub the towel around and into the stain, this will only make things worse. You simply want to blot the stain or push lightly up and down on the fabric, and around the stain.
- Once you've blotted the stain once, rinse the towel off and let the fabric dry out a half-hour to an hour.
- If the stain is still apparent, then redo the steps above. (I actually had to redo the blotting process more than one time until the stain was removed). In my case, I blotted the fabric out and then let it dry out over night, and re-blotted the next day, which seemed to work out in my case.
- Hopefully, just using a towel, water, and the fabric blotting techique you'll be able to remove your stain from upholstery, without the need for stain removers.
Keep in mind, for bad stains you may need to use a stain remover, or have the stain taking out by a professional, but hopefully you can blot out the stain yourself using the steps above.