How to Make a Bed with Hospital Corners
A flat sheet folded into a 'hospital corner'.
Having a nicely made bed can change the entire look of a bedroom and it doesn’t take any time at all to make a bed that looks like it was professionally done. The term ‘hospital corners’ refers to the fact that most hospitals are on a limited budget and cannot afford to purchase both flat and fitted sheets. A hospital corner is the way one folds a flat sheet in order to make it lay flat and tight against the mattress similar to what a fitted sheet would do.
1. Choose a flat sheet that fits your mattress and allows for several inches of equal overhang on three sides. Line the head of the mattress with the beginning of your flat sheet and allow the remainder of the sheet to hang equally on the two long sides and foot of the bed.
2. Tuck under the loose sheet at the foot of the bed being careful to smooth out any wrinkles or creases that may occur on the bedding.
3. Go to one side of the bed and proceed to create the “45’ Degree Angle” fold by lifting up the bottom edge of the sheet onto the bed creating a 45’ angle and tucking in the remainder tightly into the mattress.
4. Fold the sheet back down and tuck into the mattress, again being careful to avoid any wrinkles and creases. The end result should look similar to a wrapped gift when you angle the edges to enclose the present.
5. Continue to the other side of the bed and follow the same directions again. Be sure you keep the sheets very flat, smooth, and wrinkle free.
6. If you have a bed spread or another sheet to lie on top, you can continue the process again or even just double the sheets up on the first step so you only have to do it once.
Creating hospital corners is not a difficult thing to accomplish and takes under 5 minutes to complete. It will make your bedroom look clean, tidy and inviting and will change the entire presentation of your room.