I'm really can not believe this is a random selection yet i can not seem to find a logical explanation either. I have had the same list of friends in my sidebar for weeks, it rarely changes bar 2 names now and again (of people who has recently publicly interacted with me or visa versa). I have people who i KNOW check my profile a lot and never appear on the list. I have FB friends who i interact with daily who have never featured either.
What i find really odd is the people on the list are all people who i would consider true, or old friends (even a couple that are family members) that i have actually met and spent personal time with and not just friends that i have made on FB. Strangely i dont connect much with these people on FB at all. I have many mutual friends and/or photographs with the people on the list but i also do with many many others who are not. I live over 6000miles away from home so location has nothing to do with it. I have 800 friends and not a single random person who i dont really know (networking contact) has ever been on the list, even though i know there are some stalkers.
I have tried logging in and out and resetting cache on my computer. I have another account which i have tried stalking myself with and that doesnt appear in my list. My list rarely changes.
Today i have a new friend on the list who is an old friend of mine, but we havent caught up in ages. however, i liked a status of theirs yesterday. but I liked many yesterday. Another friend left the list yet we have been publicly connecting more than usual over the last couple of days!!
Another point, i rarely check peoples profiles, i check the newsfeed instead. Yet i often check on my BF profile as he is in another country at the moment. We keep in touch via FB. I am rarely on his list and I definitely stalk him!!! unless my definition of stalking is not accurate, which is scary to say the least LOL!
i am totally baffled and frustrated, i can't work this one out! I am going to keep experimenting with my alias account and see if i can get on my list!! I am dying to know if these people are 'stalkers' or not. It would be really interesting (and nice in some cases) if they were!
As a last minute exercise for this post, i took the people on the list and tried to find a common theme based on the new fb 'see friendship' tool:
1. Friends since 2009. Have worked together, 0 photos, 2 posts on their wall in the last 1 yr, rare interaction. 15 mutual friends, however only has 49 in total and does like to keep up to date with the people they know but not 'use' FB.
2. Friends since 2009. Used to connect a lot on FB a couple of years back, now occasional likes and comments. 38 photos together. 25 mutual friends. Would definitely say this person checks my profile to keep up to date.
3. Friends since 2009. Same as above, we were three together (note number 2 and 3 have just come in to my list the last two days, since some comments and messaging). rarely we fb now. 40 photos, 37 mutual friends.
4. Friends since 2009 (popular year!). 0 photos, rare comments, 38 mutual friends. But 'likes' me!!!!
5. Friends since 2011, 26 mutual friends., 0 photos. occasional likes and comments. is a keen fb user and suspect keeps up with everyone. We work in the same industry.
6. Friends since 2007 (family), 20 mutual friends, 0 photos, rare connection at all. (however i know this family member follows me as we speak about it but they dont seem to be on fb much!)
7. Friends since 2008 (again family), 29 mutual friends, 5 photos (however no 7 has tagged me in many of theirs). A lot of recent interactions, i would be surprised if no 7 was not watching my profile.
8. Friends since july 2011 (another family member), 8 mutual friends, tagged photos are hidden, 0 interactions (This person is on FB a lot it seems, however does not interact much and keeps private, probably checks my profile)
9. Friends since 2011, but originally from 2009, we lost friendship and had to reconnect!! 238 mutual friends, 47 photos. 100% is on my profile a lot, however has only been a recent addition to the list this week!!
10. Friends since 2008, 8 mutual friends. rare connection if AT ALL on FB, but a close friend in reality. Again not in to interacting on fb, just keeping up.
So it makes sense that these people are on my list, i know them well and not surprised they would be keeping up with me especially as i'm far away.
2 of 10 are based in the same country as I and in close proximity - both use fb a lot.
5/10 are based in my home country, though not in the same town or city
The remaining 2/10 are in different countries and are people who i used to have a lot of FB connection but now not so much. We have similar friends and many photos.
1/10 is in a total different continent to everyone, however is family.
We all share familiar 'true' friends, and these friends i also interact with or have family/work/previous location links. This last point has me thinking, maybe quality of mutual friends plays a part. Only no 4 doesnt have 'quality' friends. (true stalker???)
btw - i do not have anyone listed as Family or 'in a relationship with' or visa versa.
Any other thoughts?