How to Block Websites in Internet Explorer 8
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Here's a step-by-step of how you can actively block websites from Internet Explorer 8 from your web surfing activities. While this tutorial is based in IE 8, you should be able to use these same steps in Internet Explorer 7 (and possibly IE 6).
- Open Internet Explorer and then in the Menu Bar click on Tools → then click on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options pop-up box, click on the 'Content' tab. In the Content Advisor section, click the Enable... button. Note if Content Advisor has already been enabled you will have to click either the Disable or Settings button, and then enter the content advisory password.
- In the Content Advisor pop-up box, click the 'Approved Sites' tab. Now enter in the website address you would like to block, then click on the 'Never' button, then click OK. To block a website completely you need to put * in front of the domain. For instance, to block all pages from youtube.com, you would type *.youtube.com
- Once you've added all the sites/pages you want to block, then click on the 'General' tab within the Content Advisor pop-up box and then check 'Users can see websites that have no ratings' .
- Now click on the 'Create password' button, and enter in an easy to remember password (I would also recommend you enter in a hint for the password as well, so you don't forget it). Keep in mind that if you skip this step, without creating a password, you will still be prompted to create a password.
- Click OK on the Content Advisor pop-up box, and click OK once all pop-up boxes are closed. That's it!
You will now be able to safely surf the internet without having to worry about opening up unwanted or malicious websites that you've added to your blocked website list within Internet Explorer.
Note: One drawback to having Content Advisor enabled is that it appears to mess with the functionality of completely legitamate websites (for instance parts of Google Adwords and Yahoo Search Marketing websites don't work properly when it's enabled). So just be aware of that.